Is there a way to logout an inactive user after nn minutes?

Tim Fredrick fredrick at acd.uucp
Thu May 16 07:19:24 AEST 1991

>> In the ksh, there is an environment variable, TMOUT, which specifies the
>> number of minutes the shell will wait inactive before exiting. If you
>> were to set this in /etc/profile, all ksh users would be handled. I don't
>> know if the csh has a similar construct.
>
>It does.  Setting autologout variable will cause the shell to log
>itself out after a certain period of idle time.  For example,
>
>		set autologout=30

I tried putting this in my own .cshrc file and I didn't get logged out after
30 minutes of inactivity.  Is there some other file that this command goes
into?  Is there some daemon that needs to be running?

And a more general question -- is there a file that will set up environment
variables and/or aliases for any user logging in?

Thanks
-Tim Fredrick