fortune data file and fortune command

Mark Whetzel markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
Thu May 30 01:40:03 AEST 1991

In article <1991May22.215452.7261 at unlinfo.unl.edu>, james at engrss2.unl.edu (James Nau) writes:
> Does anyone know what (and why?) fortune changes in the
> /usr/games/lib/fortune/fortune.dat file?  It changes only the first
> "line" (I think it's in the first 128 bytes).  Is it writing a counter
> so that I don't see the same fortune twice?

For that matter, where is the documentation on how to add to or build
a private fortune database?  The man command indicates that a user
file can be specified, but there is no discription of how to build the
beast.
  fortune Command

  Purpose

  Tells a random fortune.

   Syntax

  fortune [   -] [  -w |  -s |  -l |  -a ] [File]

  Description

  The fortune command prints a fortune from either the fortunes.dat
  file  or  the  file  specified.  After printing the fortune,  the
  fortune command exits.

And goes on to give discriptions of the flags.

Info shows the same, no file layout.

--
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,
A Litton/Dresser Company           DOMAIN addr: markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
VOICE: (713) 963-2446		   UUNET address:  uunet!airgun!markw