Terminal Emulators/ Virtual Terminals

Bob Jones sasrhj at key.unx.sas.com
Thu May 9 07:02:32 AEST 1991

In article <7331 at awdprime.UUCP> tex at bigtex.austin.ibm.com writes:

>>  We have just installed a new rs6000 running AIX 3.1, our situation requires
>> setting up several PC 386 machines as direct connections.  The problem I'm
>> experiencing is that I haven't found an emulator that will allow multiple
>> virtual terminals on a dumb terminal or even if AIX 3.1 supports this.
>>

>Take a look at MultiView from JSB.  It runs on the RT and PS/2 and I
>think it runs on the 6000 as well.  It is a windowing tool for ASCII
>terminals.

Along these lines, I've tried using the terminal emulator called 'ate'
packaged with AIX 3.1.  It interprets CTRL-B for toggling file capture, and
CTRL-V for escaping to a main menu after establishing a connection.  Well vi
also uses these sequences, so when I'm editing files remotely,  vi never sees
any of these commands and I'm constantly toggling file capture.

Anybody know how to work around this problem?
--
Robert Jones             |
SAS Institute Inc.       | "My opinions are my own and not