logging off from an Xstation 120

Phil Howard KA9WGN phil at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu May 16 15:03:21 AEST 1991

CALT at SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>Does anyone know how to log off from an Xstation 120?

>Thanks in advance!

Same as any other X terminal.  You terminate the process that was
initiated by xdm which logged in your session.  Since you don't know
this your probably have not configured your own X environment, so
we need to figure out what default environment you have.

My first guess is that either your first xterm window, or your window
manager, is the descendant from xdm.  Do a normal logout of your xterm
window session.  You probably already tried that.  If that does not do
it, then press button 1 on your mouse, with the cursor on the root
screen, and see if you get a window manager menu.  If you do, and there
is an entry called exit, then select that entry.

In my own configuration, I let xlogo be the descendant from xdm, and put
it down on the lower right corner.  I can kill it with the window kill,
or just kill it from the shell kill command.

Turning the X terminal off and back on will not restore your session.
Although it may not be logged off, no one can get to it at this point.
Turning it off and back on may cause other problems, depending on the
local configuration, such as no login prompt (xdm).  I am running R4
on mine, and it has XDMCP which avoids this problem.
--
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   |  Guns don't aim guns at  \