Problems with "sa"

Bradley T. Freese freese at dalvm41b.vnet.ibm.com
Sat May 25 04:52:11 AEST 1991

haines at debussy.cs.colostate.edu (Matt Haines) writes:

> Hi all.

> I am having some problems with the "sa" accounting command.  When I
> envoke the command, I get the following error message for each user ID
> in the paswd file:

> sa: 0551-097 The user id xxx is not recognized.  It is ignored.

> Any clues why??

I set this up and got the same error message for only one user:
"nobody".  Nobody has a UID of 4294967294, which is (2**32 - 2).  I
suspect that 'sa' has difficulty with UIDs over 2**31, 2147483648,
arising from whether to treat UIDs as signed or unsigned integers.
The nobody UID is needed by NFS.  If you are not running NFS, you
could change UIDs over 2**31 to less than that (an ugly workaround,
indeed).  I contacted Defect Support and they opened an APAR against
the error.  You may want to contact Defect Support and inquire about
APAR IX15968.