AIX 3.1 File system mystery

Steven Freed CIRT sfreed at ariel.unm.edu
Sun May 19 04:49:23 AEST 1991

In article <509 at nwnexus.WA.COM>, wjones at nwnexus.WA.COM (Warren Jones) writes:

> I've observed something very mysterious in our RS/6000 file system:
> "ls -l" shows a file of ~24 Mbytes, but "du" shows the directory
> using only ~17 Mbytes.

Probably a hole in the file. When I was in school we used to drive the
sys admins crazy with this. (some weren't too bright). We would have like a
1 meg quota, (yeah, that quota topic again ;-) and we would write a
program that would write 8k, do an lseek for about 500 megs and write
another 8k. They would come after us, trying to find out how we broke
the quota system, not stopping to think that the partion we were on was
only 200 megs.

Data base files are usually the most common type of file with holes.

Steve.                    sfreed at ariel.unm.edu