Tape terror

moody at snap.austin.ibm.com moody at snap.austin.ibm.com
Tue May 21 05:41:57 AEST 1991

In article <7572 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

>A question for IBM:  why _in the world_ would a company put out a product
>which by default would do such a thing?  It really makes the system seem
>cruddy and slow.

I believe that the folks who make the tape drives felt like the error rate
would be too high if the tape didn't get retensioned(sp?).  In other words,
manufacturing insisted that it be done.  At least that's the story I heard
back when software developement folks were asking the same question about a
year ago.  Just in case I'm wrong, remember, I speak only for myself.

DISCLAIM, DISCLAIM...

James Moody				aixnet:moody at moody.austin.ibm.com
Personal Systems Programming Austin	VNET:MOODY at AUSVMQ
AIX Field Support - Level 3		internet:moody at aixwiz.austin.ibm.com