CU: questions on using cu

Robin Wilson robin at pensoft.uucp
Fri May 17 02:45:36 AEST 1991

In article <354 at gandp> rg at gandp.UUCP (Dick Gill) writes:
>In article <1991May11.201913.20504 at pensoft.uucp> robin at pensoft.uucp (Robin Wilson) writes:
>>In article <1991May3.145533.26146 at uvm.edu> moore at emily.uvm.edu (Bryan Moore) writes:
>>)is there any way I can find out what device I am connected to
>>)after I issue the cu command?
>>Have you tried: "~! tty"  ?
>This will, I think, give you the tty of your terminal, not the modem.
>Although I have not tried it on an RS/6000, I suspect that you
>can get the handle you want from the lock files in /usr/spool/locks
>(or the RS/6000 equivalent).

OK, I misunderstood.  You can use "cu -d <system_name>" and this will show all
"debug" output from the connection (possibly messy), or you can do this command
from inside of "cu":

~!ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep cu

This will show you all occurances of "cu" running, and you can then use the
PPID to figure out which one belongs to your process.  (Looking at the lock
files will work, except that you will not be able to guarantee that a specific
lock file goes with your process.)

The "cu -d" method would be the easiest, but it will also yield ugly debug text
on your screen.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     pensoft!robin                                                      |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)343-1111                       |