floppy problems on RS/6000 320

Lance Hartmann lance at mpd.tandem.com
Wed May 29 07:11:13 AEST 1991

>From devnull!cs.utexas.edu!swrinde!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!caen!dali.cs.montana.edu!milton!serval!EECS.WSU.EDU!hudson Tue May 28 16:02:18 CDT 1991
Article: 4928 of comp.unix.aix
From: hudson at EECS.WSU.EDU (Scott Hudson)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.aix
Subject: floppy problems on RS/6000 320
Date: 24 May 91 00:14:46 GMT
Sender: news at serval.net.wsu.edu (USENET News System)

>From: hudson at EECS.WSU.EDU (Scott Hudson)
>Newsgroups: comp.unix.aix
>Subject: floppy problems on RS/6000 320
>
> Scott writes:
>
>I have consistently had problems with the 1.44MB floppy drive on my RS/6000 model 320, and I'd be interested in hearing (by e-mail) from anyone who has had a similar experience.....
>
>Scott Hudson (hudson at eecs.wsu.edu)

I, too, encountered such problems and it seemed (coincidentally?!?) to occur
more with "tar" than "cpio" which I used more frequently.  As an experiment,
when the disk failed to re-format, I ran a magnet over it for awhile and
lo and behold it formatted fine!  Now, of course, this isn't the
optimal solution and I certainly would NOT recommend it over the long
haul as I am unsure of the potential ill effects to the drive.

I also look forward to hearing about this from other people....
--
Lance G. Hartmann - cs.utexas.edu!devnull!lance (Internet)