Easy(?) problem for shell script writers

Bryan Moore moore at emily.uvm.edu
Fri May 10 01:11:38 AEST 1991

I am trying to write a shell script (AIX 3.1 ksh) that does the following,
takes the output from an (awk) command, say

STRING1
STRING2
STRING3

and use each of those strings as a parameter to the fgrep of
a system call.

I want to do a 'ps | fgrep $1' where $1 is each of the above
strings, but obviously the above is incorrect.

There must be an easy way to do this. I hope my explanation
is understandable.

If I should be posting this to another group, let me know ( I'm
sure someone will!).

Thanks!

BRYAN R. MOORE          	    |   "Last night I had that same old dream
EMAIL: moore at uvm-gen.uvm.edu	    |    it rocked me in my sleep, it gave me
USMAIL: 12 Waybury Rd. Colchester,  |    the impression the sandman plays for
  Vermont 05446                     |    keeps..."   Larry Norman