NIS and /etc/security/limits

Scott Holt scott at prism.gatech.EDU
Sat May 11 06:48:16 AEST 1991

I have noticed a little problem with NIS. I have two RS6000s:

1) A 930 which functions as an NFS/NIS server - it is the master and
   only NIS server in the domain. All user accounts are created in its
   password table.

2) A 540 which is the client for both the user home directories and
   (of course) NIS. No user accounts are created in its local password
   file because that all comes from the NIS server.

So, here is the deal. Since no user accounts exist in the 540's local
password file, they don't have entries in /etc/security/limits. Thats OK,
I assumed that the value in the default stanza would be used - WRONG.
No matter what the default stanza dictates on the NIS client, it seems
to be ignored for users who exist only in the NIS password table. Where it
gets the default user limits for these folks, I don't know - but it is
clearly not from the default stanza in /etc/security/limits.

So, am I just missing something here? Do I have to make sure that NIS
users get an appropriate stanza in the /etc/security/limits file of each
NIS client (if so, what the hell is the point of using NIS?), or is there
some way to share /etc/security/limits (and others) via NIS? Do I really
need to dig up a 2400 baud modem and get on IBMLink?

I would call my local rep, but I tend to get quicker response from this
board (especially since its almost 5:00 on Friday and I am sure my rep is
where I should be - out enjoying a beer).
- Scott
--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Scott Holt                 		Internet: scott at prism.gatech.edu
Georgia Tech 				UUCP: ..!gatech!prism!scott
Office of Information Technology, Technical Services