how to recover from a damaged system disk?

jsalter at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com jsalter at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com
Tue May 7 02:54:12 AEST 1991

In article <80856 at bu.edu.bu.edu> jdh at bu-pub.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) writes:
>Can someone who understands the boot procedure in AIX 3.1 explain
>how you recover from a damaged system disk, or alternatively how
>to restore the whole system from a backup tape?  The procedure of
>actually restoring the files from tape is pretty straight forward,
>but there's some special magic involved in making the system
>partitions.   It looks like bosboot or mkboot can make a bootable
>disk or tape, but what to do beyond that is pretty confusing.

>If you boot from a floppy diskette, does this create a ram disk, or
>does this copy something to the paging area and boot from there, like
>BSDish unixes do?  Also, what's the significance of the logical volume
>named /blv?  Are there any special requirements, like using contigious
>physical partitions there or on the root lv?

Check out the boot description in the /usr/lpp/bos/bsdadm document.  I
believe it is still up-to-date.  Did the /usr/lpp/bos/README not mention
this?  I thought it did...

>jdh at pub.bu.edu

jim/jsalter  IBM PSP, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427  VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: jsalter at slo.awdpa.ibm.com         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
"IBM part #23521, aka Lt. Commander Data"    The stuff above is on my own.