Install an image backup onto a machine of different model

Graeme Moffat graeme at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
Fri May 31 21:36:00 AEST 1991

CALT at SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>The installation of an image backup of an RS/6000 530 to an RS/6000 320
>might NOT work, if the 320 has no enough disk space to hold the stuff
>of the 530. Otherwise, it seems to work for me.

That's fairly obvious, but you can be selective...
I use a 730 with 2x800Mb to produce an image for 320's with 320Mb.
I have worked out what I want on the 320's, and install only that on the
730.  Since the 730 has 2 paging spaces, I deactivate hd61 and temporarily
remove it from /etc/swapspaces. I update common config files, eg /etc/hosts
/etc/security/login.cfg..  Then I do a 'mkszfile', and edit .fs.size to be
the filesystem sizes that I want on the 320 (the're a wee bit smaller), then
run mksysb to a disk file (tape would also work, but I install the 320's via
the network). Using smit 'make system backup' will produce errors when
installing since the filesystems are too big to fit the smaller disk - the
file .fs.size is the first file on the install image and sets filesystem
size.  When that's done, I restore hd61 and install all the rest of AIX and
products onto the 730, making bff images in /usr/lpp.install in case I
decide that the 320's are missing something after all.
That's an overview, there's a little bit of detail missing *B^)

--
Graeme Moffat                g.moffat at aukuni.ac.nz \ Time wastes us all,
Computer Aided Design Centre,  Fax: +64-9-366-0702 /  our bodies & our wits