Annoying mail messages

Mark Coverdill mcover at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Tue May 21 02:41:12 AEST 1991

   Since the standard setup for the RS 6000 is to put root in
the ksh, I have utilized some of its features and have setup
aliases in the .profile file.

   This causes root to get annoying mail messages from cron
because cron reads the .profile when running the root file
in /usr/spool/crontabs but it runs in the Bourne shell?!

   The mail message is from the cron daemon and basically says
-bsh: alias: not found.

   The question is how can I get cron to run in the ksh or
alternatively get cron to not read the .profile file in the
root directory?  I have alreadly tried different incarnations
of putting #!/bin/ksh at the top of the root file for cron
but that has not worked to date.

   I guess I could just remove the alias command but then that's
no fun because I like the root environment the way it is.
--
Mark Coverdill                                  The Ohio State University
Internet: mcover at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu             Columbus, Ohio