name of RS6000 processor?

James Vlcek vlcek at athena.mit.edu
Sun May 12 23:01:05 AEST 1991

Good Heavens, I haven't seen so many errors in one post in a long
time.  Rich Braun notes:

  I conclude that whoever invented the RS/6000 must have come from
  MIT.  After all, everything at MIT has a number rather than a name.
  (This isn't really true: most classroom buildings _do_ have a name.
  But everyone there uses numbers: "My 6.013 class is in 56-100 at
  14:00" translates into "My electrodynamics I class is in room 100 of
  the Green building at 2pm.")

a) 6.013 is electrostatics, 6.014 is electrodynamics
                                ^

b) The Green building is building 54, not 56; you're thinking of
   54-100.

c) 6.013 and 6.014 typically aren't taught in 54-100, they don't have
   enough students.

d) No one *ever* says "fourteen hundred hours" at MIT, with the
   possible exception of the ROTC students.

Nonetheless, it is true that people here go by numbers much more
frequently than by names.  Occasionally visitors will ask where
Huntington Hall is, and we'll scratch our heads until they're so kind
as to add "oh, it also says `Room 10-250'" and then we can give them
directions.

...uh, it IS Huntington Hall, isn't it?  I mean, 10-250?

Jim Vlcek  (vlcek at caf.mit.edu  vlcek at caf.mit.edu)