VMS talking

Jean-Noel MOYNE jnmoyne at lbl.gov
Thu Apr 11 12:45:04 AEST 1991

In article <14354 at helios.TAMU.EDU> dlb5404 at tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl
Biberdorf) writes:
> However, several companies (including Multinet and Excelan) make TCP/IP
> networking products for VMS.  I know that the Multinet software comes
> with a talk command as part of its included command set.  The only
> gotcha is that it doesn't work with some hosts (most notably those
> that run SunOS it seems).

        One of the problems with talk is that it has a byte-order
dependency. I.e.: If your machine is a SUN (68k or SPARC are both LO-HI
(big endian)), you won't be able to talk to let's say a VAX running Ultrix
(or VMS, but with multinet). Typically you see: Waiting for invitation on
caller's machine forever.

        So, if you're on a SUN you can speak to 68k based systems, and if
you're on a VAX or a DECstation you can speak to intel based systems (and
to IBM's RSs too), since DECstations are using MIPS chips, I guess you can
talk to MIPS based systems too (haven't tried it tho).

       JNM

---
#include <std/disclaimer.h>

JNM: jnmoyne at lbl.gov