A3000UX - Born to run UNIX SVR4

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Feb 3 07:55:46 AEST 1991

>>One fact is that, across the board, from super-computers to single-
>>user workstations, UNIX System V Release 4 is simply the standard
>>to adopt.
>
>Misleading statements (AT&T hasn't officially released SYS5R4 yet, as
>far as I've heard).

Well, the "across the board" stuff does come across a bit of
marketingspeak, although there are a lot of vendors who are adopting
S5R4 (including both workstation/PC vendors such as Sun, Commodore, and
various PClone vendors, and possibly supercomputer vendors as well).

However, if you haven't heard that AT&T's officially released S5R4, it's
time to clean out your ears; a number of vendors are selling S5R4 *NOW*
for various PClones, and ICL is, I think, selling their SPARC-based DRS6000
*NOW* running S5R4.  I don't remember whether the Sun "developer's
release" of SunOS/S5R4 is out yet.