Why OpenWindows instead of Motif ?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed Feb 20 08:51:36 AEST 1991

>I thought the biggest reason to spurn Motif was the "licensing fee" that
>you're supposed to pay for each machine/terminal using Motif as its
>UI.  OpenLook is free, of course...

Well, one *implementation* of OPEN LOOK, namely the XView toolkit and
the Crucible/Sun "olwm" window manager, is free.  I know of no free
implementation of the OL "file manager" functionality, and as far as I
know AT&T's window manager and OLIT tookit aren't free; somebody may,
for whatever reason, want an Xt-based toolkit, and XView isn't one.