Why OpenWindows instead of Motif ?

mike.siemon mls at cbnewsm.att.com
Mon Feb 18 09:45:56 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb17.130425.27667 at iclswe.icl.se>, lars at iclswe.icl.se
(Lars Tunkrans) writes:

> As far as I know Motif has not yet been ported to SVR4.

Well, I don't know if anyone is selling binaries for Motif on SVR4, but it
is not a big deal to "port" the source -- there are minor makefile and compile
glitches that are not hard to work out.

However, Motif is (a) bigger (b) slower and (c) less functional[*] than the
equivalent (i.e. OLIT, based on Xt) OPEN LOOK toolkit.  (I have no idea how
it would compare to XView on the same hardware.)
------
[*] this is partly a matter of definition -- Motif *does* have more convenience
functions and more ready-to-use widget pieces than OLIT; however, there is no
component corresponding to the OPEN LOOK workspace and file managers (plus a
few other utility kinds of functions that tend to come with any OPEN LOOK
implementation.
--
Michael L. Siemon		"O stand, stand at the window,
m.siemon at ATT.COM		    As the tears scald and start;