A3000UX - Born to run UNIX SVR4

Dan Zerkle zerkle at iris.ucdavis.edu
Sat Feb 2 20:39:54 AEST 1991

In article <581.27a97594 at vger.nsu.edu> manes at vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:

>Commodore Amiga 3000UX - BORN TO RUN UNIX SVR4

Ulch.  What marketroid dweeb spewed this?  It's complete with
overstatements:

>When it comes to computers for professionals today, two facts stand
>out indisputably.

Overstatements.

>One fact is that, across the board, from super-computers to single-
>user workstations, UNIX System V Release 4 is simply the standard
>to adopt.

Misleading statements (AT&T hasn't officially released SYS5R4 yet, as
far as I've heard).

>For system portability.  For user friendliness.

Unix?  User friendly?  Hah!  Even the NeXT isn't really user friendly
when you have to do real system administration.

>For
>networking.  For compatibility of architecture.  For future Growth.
>
>Affordably.  Reliably.
>Ergonomically.  With a completeness of design that already has the
>industry experts raving.

Wow!  Three then four sentence fragments in a row!  Do marketing people
really think that poor grammar impresses computer professionals?

>"The Amiga just far outperformed the others."

Look!  Blurbs!

>compact.... The Amiga 3000UX greatly outperforms the equivalent
>NeXT and Macintosh with A/UX... it is an obvious choice as a low-end
>workstation."

What do you mean by "outperforms?"  The equivalent NeXT has a 68040
and inarguably better sound and screen resolution (no color, though).
Good thing this is in a quote.

I'm sure the 3000UX is a wonderful machine, and I'm certainly going to
try to upgrade my 3000 to run Unix one of these days, but this
marketing tripe makes me sick.  Hype like this really doesn't belong
verbatim on Usenet.  At least I'm glad to see that the machine is
going to be agressively marketed.  Just so I don't have to put up with
it....

Followups to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle at iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.