A3000UX - Born to run UNIX SVR4

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Feb 3 07:51:56 AEST 1991

>1) Whats "openlook" I've seen/used suntools/X11/Openwin (I like Openwin best)
>   But haven't seen Openlook.

OPEN LOOK is a look and feel specification for window system
applications and window managers.  I assume "Openwin" refers to Sun's
Open Windows X11/NeWS stuff; if so, it conforms to the OPEN LOOK L&F
specification - it uses the "olwm" window manager (originally developed
by Crucible in Santa Cruz, according to the comments in the source, and
now presumably maintained by Sun), which is an OPEN LOOK window manager,
and the XView and OLIT toolkits, both OPEN LOOK toolkits.  XView is a
descendant of SunView (which is, in turn, a descendant of
SunWindows/"suntools"), and OLIT is an AT&T-developed (originally,
although there may be some Sun work in it now) OPEN LOOK "Xt"-based
widget set.

AT&T also, for some unknown and rather obnoxious reason, seems to want
to call some of *their* X11 stuff "OPEN LOOK" - I suspect that refers to
the OLIT toolkit and *their* OPEN LOOK window, workspace, and file
managers, while "XWIN" refers to their X11 server and lower-level
libraries and applications.

S5R4 includes, in some sense, X11/NeWS and OPEN LOOK - I think the GUI
stuff is a separate part of S5R4 - in that you get the Sun X11/NeWS
server (and, I think, the AT&T XWIN server) as part of the source
(although you may get it on a separate tape, which you may have to order
and even pay for separately), along with the OLIT and XView toolkits
and, presumably, AT&T's OPEN LOOK window/workspace/file managers (and, I
suspect, the XWIN versions of Xlib and Xt).  Given that, Commodore's
S5R4 probably includes some amount of that stuff.