Why OpenWindows instead of Motif ?

Gerry Lachac gerry at dialogic.com
Sun Feb 17 06:38:36 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb15.235403.12606 at cid.aes.doe.CA> aspgpas at cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA (Peter Silva) writes:
>I don't know about Commodore specifically.  But For those of you
>who are unitiated in the UNIX standards wars... There are two camps
>
>OSF -- Open Software Foundation
	The Motif Camp

>Unix International
	The OpenLook/Windows Camp

But unfortunately, the GUI crosses over this boundary.  For instance,
Interactive, SCO, ESIX and the other 386-box UNIX SysV3 vendors
supply the Motif widgets and toolkits for their System V Release 3
products.  I see no reason why they won't do that for their Release 4
versions (I haven't seen their Rel 4 offerings yet).

I believe OpenLook/Windows is provided by AT&T as part of the standard
Release 4 package to their licensees (ie CBM, SCO, Sun, etc), and it
up to the licensee to provide it.

As a side note, most of the commercial products I've seen at trade
shows seem to use the Motif widgets rather than the OpenLook widgets.