Amiga 3000UX

mike.siemon mls at cbnewsm.att.com
Sun Jan 13 02:59:32 AEST 1991

In article <388 at ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>, pal at ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
(Philip Leverton) writes (among other interesting points)

> Our system only had 5 Mb of memory which meant that using Open Look/olwm
> was painful since the system was limited by very frequent disk accesses.
> As I think the docs say, 8 or 16 Mb would be much better.

AT&T/USL recommends a minimum of 6 Megabytes for OPEN LOOK* at this stage
(we're working on reducing this; it used to need 8 -- X tends in general
to be a real memory hog).  I would agree that doing anything serious needs
8 meg.

> As another poster mentioned, I could't find a way to get Open Look
> going in colour.

I'm sure that's doable -- I've seen color operating at the UNIX International
booth at las fall's UNIX Expo in NYC.

> Also I couldn't figure out how to authorise X programs to display on
> the Amiga under Open Look. I'm sure I tried looking for obvious things
> like xhosts or menu options but had no luck.

That seems odd; an xinit or olinit from the console *should* fire up a
server and xterm or OL workspace, allowing local clients, and xhost +
should allow running of clients from elsewhere; since you say you've run
Amiga clients on other servers, I assume your networking is all set up OK.
Dunno about the cshell, but if I fire up the server as a background task
under the Korn shell it waits and has to be brought into the foreground to
get going.  You should have a "virtual" terminal switch at that point.  All
of this is generic SVR4.0 and OL, and I wouldn't expect it to differ on an
Amiga.
------
* OPEN LOOK, UNIX, etc., etc. are trademarks of USL, etc. etc.
--
Michael L. Siemon		We must know the truth, and we must
m.siemon at ATT.COM		love the truth we know, and we must