Amiga 3000UX

mike.siemon mls at cbnewsm.att.com
Mon Jan 14 14:17:40 AEST 1991

In article <5213 at auspex.auspex.com>, guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

> >AT&T/USL recommends a minimum of 6 Megabytes for OPEN LOOK*

> Which toolkit(s), which X server, which window manager?  OPEN LOOK is a
> spec, not software, so it can't really be said to require any specific
> amount of memory.  (Yes, I know AT&T uses OPEN LOOK as the name of some
> software; they should stop doing so.)

I didn't think an Amiga group really needed the matter thrashed out _in
extensu_; since my note specifically refered to a USL recommendation, I
presume that intelligent readers will infer that I am speaking of the USL
product, which is what I have seen running on Amigas at trade shows.  This
product offering is a USL server (modified from the MIT reference source)
and the Xt-based OPEN LOOK toolkit (same as what is called OLIT in Sun's
current offering.)  The *source* code for UNIX SVR4.0 includes NeWS and
XView (I do not know details about versions of these), but I do not know
if these are offered with the Amiga -- that's an OEM decision.
--
Michael L. Siemon		We must know the truth, and we must
m.siemon at ATT.COM		love the truth we know, and we must