GNU Development Possible?

Thomas Giger ESCO giger at cbmehq.UUCP
Tue Jan 15 21:57:23 AEST 1991

In article <JKH.91Jan14062715 at bambam.pcs.com> jkh at bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:
>>Is Amiga UNIX going to be sufficiently solid to enable me to get
>>GNU EMACS, GNU CC, and other GNU software up and running, and to
>
>I've seen all of the above already running under Amiga Unix. According
>to one German developer I talked to, gcc is in fact the compiler of
>choice on that machine. [...]
>"What do you mean your program doesn't work? What compiler did you
>use? /bin/cc?? Oh, well, that's your problem. Why didn't you use gcc?"

While I would encourage use of the GNU C compiler for its better speed
optimization, let me tell you that it really isn't that bad. Actually,
I would have been the one to say that quoted phrase above. But I'm
sure I didn't. In some cases I may have asked "Did you try the gcc
too?" - but that's a simple cross check everyone would do. For two
rather large porting projects the companies used /bin/cc without any
problems - all I had to help them was to find the right libraries
to link with (SVR4 introduced some new names they weren't used to).

It will be interesting to see a speed comparision between cc and gcc
when they re-do these ports with gcc.

rgds, Thomas.
--
Thomas Giger, Technical Support Manager
Commodore European Support & Coordination Office (ESCO)