Amiga 3000UX first impressions

Brett Bourbin brett at visix.com
Tue Jan 15 10:58:49 AEST 1991

Ok, if the machine and OS is now public, I guess I can comment for the
software developers point-of-view.

For a CISC processor version of UNIX which are suppose to be smaller than
their RISC counterparts, AMIX seems to be alittle bloated.  On a 9Meg
system (8 fast, 1 chip), the UNIX when booted only leaves me with alittle
over 5Megs.  This is before the X Window System.

I don't know if I agree not to put color into the console X server.  The
reason I heard was about speed and I really don't fully believe it.

The OPEN LOOK window manager has some problems with window placements.  I
don't think they are handling the USPosition and PPosition hints.

The X server has some major drawing problems if you interrupt it when it
is at work using the window manager (dragging a window while it is being
drawn).

I don't know what they are sync'ing the mouse pointer with for X, but it
is very unstable.  I will venture a guess that it is not a sprite.  8^)

The good points are that it seems pretty complete as SVR4 goes.  Besides
a major bug in the socket library (recvfrom () call) and the X problems,
it is pretty stable.  NFS works like a charm, along with TCP/IP (this was
not the case for the earlier beta versions back 2-3 months ago with kernel
panics on NFS writes).

BTW - I use the gcc complier on the system, and not the standard cc for it
gives my much tighter code.

--
  Brett Bourbin          \  / /(_  /\/   11440 Commerce Park Drive