Adding Symmetric Multiprocessing to Amiga UNIX.

Doug Whitehead doug at ctc.contel.com
Wed Jan 30 06:44:19 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan29.024542.1 at ccvax.iastate.edu> taab5 at ccvax.iastate.edu
(Marc Barrett) writes:
      If Commodore could do the same, and add symmetric multiprocessing
   to Amiga UNIX, this would permit both of the processors to be used at
   once in a multiprocessor Amiga 3000.

And Scott Hess (scott at texnext.gac.edu) replies:
  Actually, I don't know how worth it it would be to have symmetric
  multiprocessing with a 68040 and a 68030 working in tandem.  The '040
  is quite a bit better (this is sort of like an 8088/80286 team,
  or 68030/68000 team, though not quite _that_ bad).
  I think an easier, and more than likely faster, route would be to offload
  io processing to the 68030.

My embellishment:
Hey why not use the 68030 exclusively for an X server!  Some folks
pay the cost of an AmigaUX just for an X server.  This would be a KILLER
X window system!!!

Doug Whitehead

Doug Whitehead (doug at ctc.contel.com)