unix and memory, sigh (was Re: What Happens If You Have > 9 Meg??

M.Rizzo mr3 at ukc.ac.uk
Tue Jan 29 22:32:22 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan28.052517.909 at kessner.denver.co.us> david at kessner.UUCP (David D. Kessner) writes:
>In article <1991Jan27.183019.18321 at scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
>>>	GCC's executeable is about 1.8 meg.
>>sounds like you compiled it with -g and didn't strip it.
>>my gcc-cc1 is 477KB.
>
>Well.  I didn't see the -g option, but I did strip it.  What's the -g option?
>You always wanted to discuss UNIX, GNU, X-Windows, and i386's on the Amiga
>news group...

The -g option is for debugging - it causes the compiler to generate
extra info in the object code for use by a debugger such as gdb
(GNU debugger). Part of the reason for the large difference in code
could be due to the processor. I would expect the code for a RISC
processor such as the SPARC to be much larger than the 680x0 equivalent.
Here the size of gcc-cc1 is about 1.6 meg (compiled with -g on a
SUN SPARC).

>					David Kessner

Mike Rizzo