unix and memory, sigh (was Re: What Happens If You Have > 9 Meg??

David Kessner david at kessner.denver.co.us
Mon Jan 28 16:25:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan27.183019.18321 at scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
>you are welcome to send me $2000 so i can purchase a good graphics card/monitor
>for my 386.
Hey, If I had $2000, I get a good graphics card and monitor for my 386!  Have
you ever ran X on a standard VGA?  640x480x16?  Tis a shame, since my VGA card
supports 800x600x256, but my X drivers don;t support my card.  The standard
A3000 isn't much better.  It supports some better resolutions, but nothing like
1024x768x256-- the resolution I am starting to think should be minimum for
X workstations.  Now that's 768K of display memory, which makes a total of 4
meg of RAM almost unuseable for real work.

>>	GCC's executeable is about 1.8 meg.
>sounds like you compiled it with -g and didn't strip it.
>my gcc-cc1 is 477KB.

Well.  I didn't see the -g option, but I did strip it.  What's the -g option?
You always wanted to discuss UNIX, GNU, X-Windows, and i386's on the Amiga
news group...

					David Kessner

--
David Kessner - david at kessner.denver.co.us            |
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) | This space for rent.