Domain Socket

Mike "Ford" Ditto ford at amix.commodore.com
Wed Jan 30 02:55:45 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan27.023818.4112 at cs.mcgill.ca> tinyguy at cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) writes:
>This may not apply to the A3000UX, but what exactly is the
>'Domain socket'? I think it's only supported by Berkerley Unix.

You're probably thinking of "Unix domain" sockets, as opposed to "IP
domain" sockets.  The difference is that the IP domain uses IP
addresses to connect to a process on some machine on a network, while
the Unix domain uses Unix pathnames to connect to a process on the
same machine.

For example, you could create a server that makes a Unix domain socket
and binds it to the name "/tmp/mysocket", and other processes could
connect to it and communicate with your server.

Unix domain sockets, like sockets in general, were invented as part of
BSD Unix, and are also present in SVR4.

					-=] Ford [=-

"But everybody wants a rock		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
 to wind a piece of string around."	ford at amix.commodore.com
 - They Might be Giants,		uunet!cbmvax!ditto
   "We want a rock"			ford at kenobi.commodore.com