Amiga 3000UX first impressions

Mike "Ford" Ditto ford at amix.commodore.com
Wed Jan 16 11:05:04 AEST 1991

In article <NKKw6uca at visix.com> brett at visix.com (Brett Bourbin) writes:
>Ok, if the machine and OS is now public, I guess I can comment for the
>software developers point-of-view.

Reminder:  Everyone who currently has Unix on their Amiga has a
pre-release beta test version.  Some of these people are beta testers
who received the software and/or hardware by special arrangement,
others are the lucky few who have managed to buy an A3000UX through a
special educational program (and some mysterious early dealer units).

I don't know what, if any, non-disclosure agreements any of these
people are bound to, so I have no complaints about posting "first
impressions," etc.  However, I would like to make one request:

Please include the Amiga Unix version name/number, as in "Beta3j",
when you comment about the software.  The output of "uname -rv" will
do nicely.  The main reason for this at the moment is to remind
readers that it is BETA software that is being reviewed.

Also, when someone says,

> AMIX seems to be alittle bloated.

I would like to respond with an estimate of how much smaller the
system got between the version he has and the current one.  But I
can't, not knowing what version was being described.

>I don't know if I agree not to put color into the console X server.  The
>reason I heard was about speed and I really don't fully believe it.

The main reason is this:  We got a single-bitplane version (much
easier to do than multi-bitplane) running on the native hardware as
soon as possible.  Since then, the X people have been concentrating on
the TIGA X server for the hires graphics card.  We always have and
still do intend to extend the native server to multi-bitplane.

> [ other X problems ]

I'll let the Xperts investigate those.

>a major bug in the socket library (recvfrom () call)

I haven't seen this in our bug list, please send a report to
bugs at amix.commodore.com.

Thanks for all your comments.
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at amix.commodore.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		uunet!cbmvax!ditto
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ford at kenobi.commodore.com