unix and memory, sigh (was Re: What Happens If You Have > 9 Meg??

J. Eric Townsend jet at karazm.math.uh.edu
Sat Jan 26 11:29:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan24.014652.14960 at kessner.denver.co.us> kessner!david at csn.org (David D. Kessner) writes:
>Geez.  9 meg for UNIX?  8 is bare minimum-- I have 12 here on my i386.  Does
>this limit exist on the A3000?

Look.  680x0 UNIX does not need a bazillion megs of RAM, and I would guess
that 386 unix {dosen't,wouldn't} either, if it {is,was} ported correctly.

There are thousands of 3b1's and 7300's running round, none with over
3.5Mb of RAM (unless there's a new hardware hack I don't know about :-).
(I used to develop banking software on them, fyi.)  The kernal on the 3b1
I had was around 300K...

There's no reason the Amiga UNIX should need more than a few megs, as long
as you don't run some sort of windowing system (other than a bunch of
virtual ascii terminals).

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet at uh.edu    Bitnet: jet at UHOU
Systems Mangler - UH Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120