Secure floppy filesyetms (was Re: interesting feature on AMIX..)

Bernd Felsche bernie at metapro.DIALix.oz.au
Fri Jun 21 13:13:01 AEST 1991

In <319 at devnull.mpd.tandem.com> lance at mpd.tandem.com (Lance Hartmann) writes:

>Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "scanning the inodes"?  Yes,
>I know what an inode is, but I'm curious as to your procedure.  I guess

I'm relying on System V.3 Unix here, but I suspect that not much has
changed: ncheck(8) has all the gruesome details. The "-s" option scans
for special files and setuid files.

>you could read the raw floppy device, check the super block, etc.
>before mounting, but is there a EASY, KNOWN way for checking the stat's of the
>raw contents?  For example, you'd certainly want to make sure that there
>weren't ANY files with setuid/setgid bits set (particularly, root owned!).
>I know that all the info would be there, but am wondering how easy/difficult
>it would be to do this....

Simple :-) Almost trivial. ncheck will even pick up naughty devices.
--
Bernd Felsche,                 _--_|\   #include <std/disclaimer.h>
Metapro Systems,              / sold \  Fax:   +61 9 472 3337