some questions

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Fri Jun 21 03:47:38 AEST 1991

In article <dj.677145389 at micromuse> dj at micromuse.co.uk (D.J.Walker-Morgan) writes:
> Well, I've been living with 386 SVR4's for a while now, from a number of
> vendors (AT&T, Intel, UHC, Dell... all commercially availble SVR4's)
> There's nothing an SVr4 user misses under SunOS 4.1.....

Well, I don't know about as a *user*, in terms of bells and whistles, but as
a system administrator SunOS/BSD hasn't changed in any good way since V7: all
the old kludges are there, with the simplistic configuration model (you edit
makefiles) only further degraded by the additional functionality that has to
be supported.

Even as long ago as System III, the AT&T branch of UNIX has been heavily
modified to make the basic tasks of system administration easier. I haven't
seen SVR4, but R3 and R3.2 are wonderful. For the first time I can confidently
add devices and tune the kernel without having to use scratch paper to track
devices and parameters.
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"