UFS file systems

dick dick at cbmnlux.cbm.nl
Fri Jun 21 00:40:32 AEST 1991

In article <1952ff8c.ARN1022 at cbmami.UUCP> jason at cbmami.UUCP writes:
>In article <1308 at creatures.cs.vt.edu>, alanlb at csgrad.cs.vt.edu writes:
>
>> Hi there!  Sometime ago I caught the tail end of a discussion wherein
>> someone mentioned that UFS file systems on v1.1 shouldn't be used and
>> that users ought to wait until v2.0 comes out.  I'd appreciate it if
>> someone would e-mail me the reasons for this.  I'm currently migrating
>> several file systems from A/UX and I need the UFS long filenames.
>>
>Ditto.  I am using a A3000UX as a file server for an AmigaDos network, and
>the filename length restriction makes installing many Commercial software
>packages a real pain.  Is it safe to use a UFS system under 1.1 for this
>purpose?  Is it possible to mount an AmigaDos partition under Unix for this
>purpose?  If either is safe, can someone give me fairly simple (I'm a Unix
>idiot...) directions on how to set it up?
>
>Thanks much,
>
>-Jason-
>
>-Jason-

>Jason Goldberg				UUCP: ucsd!serene!cbmami!jason
>Del Mar, CA

I have such a beastie working here. I took a separate disk to
have ufs on.
rdb the drive
then mkfs -F ufs /dev/dsk/c..... nmbr.of.sectors
mount -F ufs /dev/dsk/c..... /xxx # be sure to have a
mountpoint.
share /xxxx
You can do the mounts and share automaticaly.

There is one problem, that the size is not correctly. f.i. a
40M drive would have 104M free 195M in use this is due to the
blocksize 8K blocks.
This setup runs here for two weeks now and no problems (sofar
:-)), though it is stated that it is broken.

Disclaimer:
I cannot guarantee that it will work for you. you can have
problems with it that I don't know of yet.
If you want to be sure that it is really fixed wait for 2.0, I
know for sure it is fixed there.

--

Best regards,

Dick Frijdal