MINIX

Eric Lee Green elg at elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM
Fri Jun 14 13:28:14 AEST 1991

>From article <hunter.676606896 at thomas>, by hunter at bacchus.esa.oz.au (James Gardiner [Hunter]):
> In <1991May30.211409.307 at swbatl.sbc.com> jburnes at swbatl.sbc.com (Jim Burnes - 235-7444) writes:
>>released.  If it can be done, Matt can do it.
>
> Gee.  When and where is the statue of MATT going to be shown to the public.
> I imagin it will be a life sized statue of Matt.  An amiga A4000 in one arm
> and the World in the other.  Would probably be places in the reception
> or the head office of Commodore.....

Plans have been held up. The sculptor has been unable to find anybody who
remembers what Matt looks like. One pundit suggests simply carving the back
of a head staring at a computer screen. There is also the question of
the keyboard to be depicted in the sculpture. Matt's turbocharger-enhanced
keyboard presents problematic artistic questions, in that it makes the
computer more resemble the underhood of a '67 Mustang than a computing
device, and it would be problematic to have the figure actually HOLD the
keyboard.

As I hear it, they are actively soliciting slogans to be emblazoned upon
the base of the statue. As I don't know Matt, I haven't entered any of
my own choices into the contest. Slogans currently under consideration are
typical statue sloganry type things, such as "Matt Dillon, World's Best
Programmer" and the such. Others suggest that such slogans don't adequately
represent the level of Matt's ability and are bland besides, but they have
had trouble finding more laudatory adjectives. However, they are currently
searching through the latest unabridged Webster's, so we may get reports
from that quarter some time in the next century.

--
Eric Lee Green   (318) 984-1820  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509
elg at elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM               uunet!mjbtn!raider!elgamy!elg