interesting feature on AMIX..

Steve Warren swarren at convex.com
Tue Jun 25 03:39:51 AEST 1991

In article <432 at hfsi.UUCP> emcphers at manu.cs.vt.edu (Frank McPherson) writes:
>In article <1991Jun24.005213.944 at convex.com> swarren at convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
                               [...]
>>How about writing a daemon that runs quietly and secretly copies every floppy
>>that students mount, to the harddrive?  I think that this represents an
>>overwhelming reason to want root access to a small portion of students at any
>>university.  That is one reason why those protections are there.
>
>Normally, it isn't possible for the student to store things on the hard
>drives of the machines in question.
                               [...]
But then we're not talking about "normally," are we?  We are discussing
a security hole that allows anyone with one semester of OS knowledge to
become root on all of these machines (the ones with your custom floppy
filesystem hack on them).  Once you become root, forget about restrictions
of where you can store files.  There are none.  Root is the boss.
--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__