U Lowell board question (was Re: AMIGA 3000UX)

Jim Burnes - 235-7444 jburnes at swbatl.sbc.com
Tue Jun 25 00:38:31 AEST 1991

ag at amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
> saunders at triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) writes:
> > Just out of curiousity, why doesn't X under UNIX use the blitter?
> > It seems this would be a "selling point" for X/Unix on the Amiga
> > over the PC Unix boxes.  I mean, isn't this what the blitter chips
> > are for?  Speeding up window systems like X?
>
> The answer is simply that the 68030 can do the job faster and better
> than the blitter chip.  You must remember the blitter chip was made to
> enahance a 7mhz 68000 with bus accesses of only 16bits wide.

Geee...after running X on a an A3000 UXD anything would be an improvement
over the blit algorithms you guys have installed now.  Also I thought that
the point was that the CPU didnt have to do the screen management, leaving
it free to actually run programs.  I know X is a resource hog, but Amigados
/Intuition runs rings around it.  The other question is, of course, why
hasnt CBM stepped up the blitter performance to match the rest of the
system architecture.

BTW: Why doesnt somebody compile a virtual window manager for Amix.
With the seriously limited screen real-estate without the lowell card,
anything would be an improvement.

Jim Burnes, UNIX SysAdmin          ! "The Nineties
SWBell Advanced Technology Labs    !    are gonna make the Sixties
(314) 235-7444                     !       look like the Fifties..."
jburnes at swbatl.sbc.com             !   Dennis Hopper in 'Flashback'