A3070 Tape Drive programming

Bruce D. Becker bdb at becker.UUCP
Tue Jun 25 06:45:43 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun19.171335.4227 at news.media.mit.edu> masaru at media-lab.media.mit.edu (Masaru Sugai) writes:

|In article <1991Jun19.100002.26682 at NCoast.ORG> lesle at NCoast.ORG (David A. Lesle) writes:
|>Is there any way to program the A3070 tape drive to read tapes
|>of lower density than 150M?  I have several tape cartridges with
|>tar files from a Sun system circa 1989 that I would like to read.
|>
|>I remember that the Sun had several different devices depending
|>on which density you wanted to read, but I can't find anything
|>like that in the UNIX documentation.  I'd like to do this under
|>either AmigaDOS or UNIX so any help would be appreciated.

	I wonder how to read 60 MB tapes under either
	AmigaDos or Unix also. I need to read one now
	as well, so it's not an idle question, sigh

|  If AmigaUX is to be release as a software product and A3070 is the only
|officially supported tape driver, many users would be no choice but to buy
|this drive, even though there are no support for AmigaDOS. Methinks the
|advantage of Amiga is powerful hardware and rich PDS, and it's quite
|wasteful for both us and CBM not to release programming info at large.
|Or should I have opted for WangTek or Archive ? But I might have hassle
|in case of AmigaUX as well.  I would like additional doc for my A3070 too.

	Early versions of Amiga Unix were on A2500 hardware,
	and came with Archive or Wangtek tape drives.  Both
	functioned without obvious problems, altho I'm not
	aware of which jumpers were different from normal
	factory settings (other than SCSI i.d., which is
	usually 4 for Amiga Unix tape streamers).

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb at becker.UUCP, bruce at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
 `\o\-e	 UUCP: ...!utai!mnetor!becker!bdb
 _< /_	 "Ferget yer humanity, do the poot" - devo