/dev/audio

Murray John GILBERT s8922967 at ipc05.mqcs.mq.oz.au
Sat Jun 15 21:38:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun11.150718.27957 at unibi.uni-bielefeld.de> markus at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de (Markus Illenseer) writes:
>Well, i guess this is a FAQ, but i never read about before:
>Is there an Audio-Device for the Amiga under Unix ?
>I only know about an Audio-Device for Sparcs and NeXT, it would be great to
>hear, the Amiga has it, too !
>
>--
>CU, Markus

A /dev/audio device would be nice under Amiga Unix. I have heard many a time
the one on the Sun IPCs and while sounding ok, is nowhere near as nice sounding
as native Amiga audio (sun is only 8k samples /sec - telephone quality). Hopefully
the implementation would be much better than the IPC's one. Its quite fun to
copy a sound to the audio device when rlogined on someelse's workstation
 on the other side of the room (man make | /dev/audio is a good one to try).

Anyway, aside from that, is theree an actual 'AUDIO:' like Dos device around
on the Amiga which like /dev/audio on Unix I can just copy stuff to. I would
be handier than getting out 'sound' or *tracker or the like to hear a sound.
Preferably it should be able to handle several common audio formats as well
as just plain samples.

Cya (or as would be more appropriate for me right now FORTRANya)
	Murray

Murray Gilbert   s8922967 at mackay.mqcs.mq.oz.au