More FAQ about 3000UX & Power-up program

Andy Heffernan ahh at moji.uucp
Sat Jun 8 07:07:51 AEST 1991

In article <SOLENSKY.91Jun6171901 at animal.clearpoint.com> solensky at animal.clearpoint.com (Frank T. Solensky) writes:
[...]
>1) Do I need to split the hard disk into an Amiga-DOS partition and a Unix
>   partition?

The disk has to be split up into partitions.  Since the system comes to you
all set up, however, you (specifically) don't have to do this.

>   a)  If so, can I at least access the "other" partition?  I'd expect this
>       to be text-file accesses rather than executable programs.

No.

>   b)  If not, is there some sort of emulation mode that allows executables
>       on one OS be run on the other (that is, something like Interactive's
>       VPIX MS-DOS emulation)?  Most people I've talked to have indicated that
>       they didn't think there was, but nobody's been certain about it.

No.

>	i) If not, could I get a bridgeboard and get MS-DOS emulation from
>	Unix that way?

No.

>2) Can Unix understand the Amiga-Dos floppy format (so that I can moves files
>   from the 1000 to the 3000 via sneakernet)?

No.  They both understand the BRU format, though.
Knowing next to nothing about this, however, I can't explain much more.

>3) How does the Power-up program apply to the 3000 UX machines?  Can I get
>   the box alone and another monitor, or does it come as a package deal?
>   And is the ethernet card optional?   Any more details available yet?
>   I've seen a few recent postings indicating that the program has been
>   expanded, but no other details.

I don't know, but I'd bet that the program applies to the box only.
All UX's come with the ethernet card.

--
$BJ8;z(J		Andy Heffernan
This is Unix ( )-	ahh at moji.uucp (uunet!glyph!moji!ahh)