U Lowell board question (was Re: AMIGA 3000UX)

Keith Gabryelski ag at amix.commodore.com
Wed Jun 19 01:04:30 AEST 1991

david at twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>In article <2519 at amix.commodore.com> I wrote:
>>The A2024 (Hedley Monitor) allows up to 1024x1024 resolution.
>
>**EVERY** description of the A2024 I've seen said: 1008x800.

In PAL mode which can be switched to by a simple jump switch you
can get 1024x1024.  You must suffer with 50hz refresh.

>>> I'm still not 100% sure that the U Lowell board will work with my
>>> 1950 monitor.  Does anyone else know?  Commodore?
>>
>>I does.
>
>Ok, it should since 1950 is multi sync.  But at 1024x1024??

No, you will need a better monitor for 1024x1024 on the Lowell board.

>>You may change the oscillators.  There are two, actually, and you may
>>switch between them.
>
>This sounds like hardware hacking.  Can you explain in more detail?
>Is it simply changing a switch that is on the outside of the cabinet
>or does it involve opening it up and soldering?

There are two sockets for two oscillators on the U of Lowell Board.
You may, using software, change which oscillator is used for screen
update.  For instance: you may have the crystal that is needed for
1024x1024 in the first socket and one for 1024x768 in the second
socket.  If you have the 1024x1024 monitor hooked you can send a
command to the board to use either crystal so you may use either
resolution without taking the machine apart.  I think the board comes
standard with four crystals.  I haven't spec's on hand or I would
post them.

Pax, Keith

--
Keith Gabryelski                                 Advanced Products Group
ag at amix.commodore.com                                 ...!cbmvax!amix!ag