interesting feature on AMIX..

Frank McPherson frank at hfsi.UUCP
Tue Jun 25 01:08:28 AEST 1991

In article <avalon.677734203 at coombs> avalon at coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed) writes:
>it is a bit of security problem, the Amiga3000UX should come with an
>entry for /dev/dsk/fd0 in one of the files in /etc (maybe fstab but
>commented out) to make it easier for novices to mount the floppy
>drive (not as easy as if sounds for a novice!) and to have it mount
>with the correct options - it is possible to mount a device under unix
>and have it IGNORE setuid bits - its just that most devices are mounted
>"setall".  The default is "setall" i believe, so that if you mount a
>floopy without disabling setuid programs people can quite easily create
>setuid programs on floppy disks and execute them on your 3000.

It's currently easy for novices to mount the floppy drives; what I'm
unsure about now is the setuid thing.  It's news to me that you can mount
it to ignore the file mode bits; maybe I need to get friendly with the
manuals for an evening to try to figure this one out.  It's currently
getting looked at much more closely than I ever have, so things keep
popping up which I hadn't really considered.  I wonder if the people who
set up the lab systems for my school considered them?
At any rate, I'll go home and try to check the options used with the
mount command currently in place.

-- Frank McPherson		INTERNET: emcphers at manu.cs.vt.edu --