interesting feature on AMIX..

Steve Warren swarren at convex.com
Fri Jun 21 02:53:31 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun19.204906.19339 at dvorak.amd.com> tim at amd.com (Tim Olson) writes:
>File systems should only be mountable by root.  Allowing a user to
>mount a floppy would be a big security hole.

It doesn't necessarilly have to be a security hole.  There could be a standard
partition at the / level reserved for the floppy filesystem.  If a user wanted
to mount his floppy-based filesystem, it would be treated in a secure way.
Every inode would be scanned to make sure that nothing on the floppy violated
the priviledges of the user.  If anything bogus showed up then the system
would refuse to mount it.  We're only talking about 1.44 Meg, max.  It
shouldn't be that hard to do.  How could any security violations get through
if the system verified the security of the floppy?

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__