Amiga 3000 UX & 2410 Graphics Adapter

uunet!srg!titania!doconnor doconnor at srg.UUCP
Thu Jun 27 22:56:55 AEST 1991

metahawk at aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Wayne G Rigby) writes:

] >3. Would it be possible to get the software seperately, so I could use my
] >   current 3000? (Even if rom replacement is necessary)
]
] Commodore is suppose to be working on a UNIX kit for A3000's.  It should be
] out real soon.  (I think they're waiting for version 2.0 of their UNIX OS
] before they start shipping this, but this is only a guess.)  You'll need
] a Q150 tape drive, like the A3070 (?), to install it though.  I hope they
] will also sell it on CD.

A co-worker suggested that C-A should sell UNIX pre-installed on a 100MB+
hard-drive. Just plug it in, reset the boot priority table, and go.

My opinion is that this is a good idea ( the drive only costs $300 or so )
but that the drive should be larger. I've got a A3000/25-100, and I only
have one internal drive bay left, and I think UNIX will eat the entire
100MB of the drive, won't it ? Now 200MB, leaving 100MB free, maybe ...

The other option would be to let authorized dealers install UNIX off tape
onto customer systems. This will probably happen anyway : I buy UNIX from
my dealer, bring in my system, he hooks up his tape drive and tally ho !
The idea of making everybody buy a tape drive to get UNIX is IMHO crazy.
Dennis O'Connor,      		uunet!srg!titania!doconnor
non-representative.