interesting feature on AMIX..

Karl-Gunnar Hultland karl at prophet.UUCP
Thu Jun 27 13:21:48 AEST 1991

>In article <431 at hfsi.UUCP> frank at hfsi.UUCP (Frank McPherson) writes:
>In article <1991Jun21.201119.722 at ckctpa.UUCP> crash at ckctpa.UUCP (Frank J. Edwards) writes:
>>Suppose I make a floppy on my machine and put a copy of ksh on it.  Then
>>I make that ksh set-uid to root and mount it on your system.  I execute
>>that ksh and viola! I get the "#" prompt...
>>
>Would you have to meddle around with the KSH to make it set-uid to root?
>My point here is, if you started up a ksh, even if from your own file
>system, shoudn't it disallow you to setuid to root?  If not, that is a
>pretty serious security hole in the way we're doing things.  I'm not
>sure that it really MATTERS, because the machines aren't incredibly
>important anyway, and there aren't any overwhelming reasons for someone
>to want root access on one of them, other than just saying they did it.

If I OWN an own A3000 running UNIX the I could easy make a set-uid root
ksh on a floppy. That's not REALLY a security hole.

                                 Karl

---

Karl Hultland, {rutgers | pyramid | uunet}!cmbvax!cbmehq!cbmswe!prophet!karl

Egoist: a person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
						- A. Bierce