U Lowell board question (was Re: AMIGA 3000UX)

Richard Saunders CIRT saunders at triton.unm.edu
Thu Jun 20 06:15:55 AEST 1991

In article <22561 at cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh at cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>That's the original AmigaOS configuration, but not a monitor limitation.  The
>Hedley monitors can support up to 1024x800 with 60Hz refresh or 1024x1024 with
>50Hz refresh.  1008 is the maximum size of a 512K Agnus blit, which explains
>that number.  If you're not using the blitter (X under UNIX does not use the
>blitter) or if you have an ECS blitter (all A3000s do, the maximum blit there
>is around 32K), 1024 is the Hedley-limited number.

Just out of curiousity, why doesn't X under UNIX use the blitter?
It seems this would be a "selling point" for X/Unix on the Amiga over
the PC Unix boxes.  I mean, isn't this what the blitter chips are for?
Speeding up window systems like X?

Of course, I have heard that the X source is an absolutely monstrous
amount of C code. I imagine just getting the source to compile and work
was a task in itself.

* saunders at triton.unm.edu * "This is _NOT_ Mel Torme!" - Top Secret