U Lowell board question (was Re: AMIGA 3000UX)

Randell Jesup jesup at cbmvax.commodore.com
Mon Jun 10 13:26:19 AEST 1991

In article <448 at netxcom.netx.com> logan at netxcom.netx.com (Jim Logan) writes:
>Let me put it this way: if you want to use the serial port or the
>UFS filesystem, wait until release 2.0 comes out this summer.  I
>think C= said that the upgrade cost will be the cost of the
>media.  ($50?)

	You can also use an A2232 7-port serial board under the current
kernel.

>You hold down the outer mouse buttons and a menu will appear when
>you boot.  If automatically defaults to the last OS used, unless
>you booted from a floppy.

	Actually, it defaults to whichever has the higher boot priority.

>If you want to use X windows, you will not be satisfied with the
>internal graphics chips.  I can really only fit one 80x25
>window on the screen with a small clock in the corner.  You will

	You ought to be able to get an 80x50 window on there (of course it
does depend on font size).

>have to buy a U Lowell board if you want to be able to have more
>than one 80x25 screen open at the same time.

	You can also use the A2024 monitor: 1Kx800 (US, 1Kx1K europe), 4-grey
level (plus dithers for more in lower resolutions).  60Hz refresh, but 10 or
15Hz update rate.  In reality, the update rate is rarely noticable except
when doing animations or large-window scrolling.  The monitor isn't gigantic
(14?15?"), though it's fairly inexpensive.  A moniterm viking (the same thing
essentially, as a separate card for the video slot, with a 19" moniterm
monitor) is rather more expensive (though nice).

>I'm still not 100% sure that the U Lowell board will work with my
>1950 monitor.  Does anyone else know?  Commodore?

	Yes, at least in the lower resolutions, perhaps (I'm unsure) in
the higher.

--
Randell Jesup, Jack-of-quite-a-few-trades, Commodore Engineering.
{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup at cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup