Stephen Menzies menzies at CAM.ORG
Sat Jun 22 04:53:34 AEST 1991

peterk at cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

>>   In article <VINSCI.91Jun11130347 at nic.nic.funet.fi> vinsci at nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) writes:
>>   >I just got off the phone with X-Pert Computer Services in Germany, and
>>   >to my surprise they said they have a 50 MHz 68040 card available now.

>Well, I just received the July issue of the German Amiga Magazin.
>On p. 6, they have a marketing blurb of ACD (Advanced Computer Design,
>Bremen, Germany) who sell the "Fusion-40" card made by US company RCS.
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
RCS Management is a *Canadian* company located here in Montreal,Quebec.

>It's a 68040 card with 4 MB RAM, priced at 6000 DM (ca. $3300).
>It's rated with 18 MIPS, so someone perhaps can tell what the real
>clock frequency is. Because in the text, they say (translated):

>   The 68040 processor works internally with 50 MHz, though the
>   external clock is only 25 MHz.

>Now, can someone confirm me that this is exactly the wrong way round?

The board should NOT be considered a 50mhz card just because it has a
50mhz clock. If I may quote Dave Haynie's recent explanation of the
040's two clocks:

	"[start of quote].. The 68040 has two clocks, the bus clock (BCLK)
and the processor clock (PCLK). PCLK is twice as fast as BCLK. However, the
speed of the BCLK is the answer to "how fast is that '040". In other words,
the 25mhz 68040 has the BCLK speed of 25MHz, a PCLK speed of 50MHz."[unquote]

So the board should be (is) considered to be 25MHz.
>--
>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

--stephen
--
Stephen Menzies
Email: menzies at CAM.ORG