Amiga 3000UX, X, OpenLook, Motif, Color, A2410, Etc. (somewhat long)

Cary Petterborg cpetterb at es.com
Thu Mar 14 01:55:01 AEST 1991

In article <392 at tcr.UUCP> xenon at tcr.UUCP (Chris Hanson) writes:

>  2) I understand that AT&T has defined Open Look to be the standard window
> manager for System V Release 4. Fine by me, I've ignored dumb standards
> before in favor of better solutions, and so has most of the rest of the

Dumb Standards?  Motif is, IMHO, not as good as OpenLook.  I use a
system running Motif for more than 8 hours a day.  I also use OpenLook
applications.  I have also read in great detail the Style Guides for
both.  So I am not ignorant of the issues.  If you want Motif, go ahead
and port it!

> world. (We bought Amiga, didn't we? Lose that MS-DOS standard.) When can I
> perhaps expect Motif 1.x (preferably 1.1, please! ;) to be available? I have
> seen such notes on this network tht say that German developers have a
> preliminary version operating, but that Commodore-Amiga is saying nothing
> concerning when or even IF this will be available. My essential question is
> this: Should I start the port myself, or is there a reasonable possibility
> that it will be done by Commodore-Amiga?
>
>     3) Much the same question applies to X11R4. I have heard it stated
> unofficially on the net that the version 2.0 of Amiga Unix will include X11
> Release 4. Is this true? (Is anyone listening to me? ;)

X11R4 gives you at two advantages and falls sort in at least two from
OpenWindows (NeWS/X11).  The advantages it has are slightly better
performance on most (but not all) platforms, and a smaller executable
(freeing up some memory).  It doesn't have postscript support and the
font technology that NeWS/X11 has.  Those two things are at the top
of the list for the next release of X11.  So why not take advantage of
having it today.  Or do you want to go back to programming BASIC too? ;-)

My $0.02.

Cary
--
Cary Petterborg					   (801)582-5847 x6446
USENET: utah-cs!esunix!cpetterb       INTERNET: cpetterb at esunix.es.com